How do I know if I am eligible for PRPIL?

Please see the Eligibility section of our website, then call our office with any additional questions regarding eligibility.

When can I enroll in PRPIL?

Teachers may enroll in PRPIL as early as their third year of teaching in the role of the Preliminary license. However, providing all program requirements are met, the endorsement for the Initial license cannot be submitted to the DESE Office of Educator Licensure until completion of the third year of teaching.

How long does it take to complete PRPIL?

Once accepted, it takes an average of 4-6 months to complete the program requirements (portfolio and classroom observations). Most teachers complete the program within a single school year.

Once your portfolio is submitted to the Class Measures office for final review, it takes 3-6 weeks for the portfolio to be reviewed and the endorsement sent to the DESE Office of Educator Licensure. If additional evidence is requested this timeline may be extended.

The amount of time needed for the DESE Office of Educator Licensure to process the endorsement and grant the license varies depending on their volume of work. Class Measures recommends planning at least one month for this part of the process.

My Provisional license has or will be expiring. What do I do?

Assuming you are eligible, apply to PRPIL as quickly as possible. Once you have been accepted, inform your school and district of your acceptance. Please contact our office for further information.

My portfolio and observations are complete and my license is expired or expiring soon. Is there anything I can do to expedite the rest of the process?

We currently offer an expedited one week portfolio review for an additional fee of $100.00. Once your endorsement has been received and scanned by the DESE Office of Educator Licensure, a principal or superintendent can contact them to request an expedited review of your file.

Does Class Measures offer college credit?


How do I know if a course is accepted as pedagogy?

Education courses offered through a college or university are generally considered pedagogy. For courses offered through other departments or for PDPs, the information covered must relate to the "how" of teaching (pedagogy) rather than "what" is being taught (content). Examples of pedagogical courses include: Skillful Teaching, Behavior Management, Motivating the Learner, and Differentiated Instruction. Please call our office with questions about specific courses.

I have a Provisional license and a Masters Degree, but never did student teaching. Can I still apply?

Yes. PRPIL is an alternative route to Initial licensure for teachers who have not completed a teaching practicum.

How do I advance two licenses at a time?

Teachers can officially advance only one licensed subject area and grade level through PRPIL. The license advanced must be the subject and grade level currently being taught. However, in many cases additional subject areas and/or grade levels can be advanced after completion of PRPIL. Teachers with multiple licenses do not need to complete the PRPIL program more than once. Please contact our office for more information.

How do I find a mentor?

Applicants are responsible for finding their own mentor. The mentor selected must hold an Initial or Professional license in Massachusetts. In addition, the chosen mentor must be a teacher of high quality standing who has received the support of the applicant's principal. The mentor must agree to carry out all tasks as summarized in the Mentor Responsibilities.

In general, teachers find it most convenient to choose a mentor from within the same school or district. However, it is acceptable to choose a mentor from another school or district. Remember to consider individuals who are retired as well as individuals who hold the needed license but are not currently using the license.

How do I get an Instructional Consultant?

An Instructional Consultant will be assigned to you by Class Measures once you have been accepted into PRPIL.

How do I learn more about compiling my portfolio?

Useful information about portfolios can be found in the Portfolio Guidelines section of this website.  Your Instructional Consultant is also an excellent source of information about the portfolio.  Class Measures occasionally has sample portfolios available at the Woburn office.  If you are interested in viewing them, please call the office to make an appointment.

How do I know when my Instructional Consultant will conduct the two announced classroom observations?

Your Instructional Consultant will work with you to schedule the two announced classroom observations. Your mentor's observations will be unannounced.

I received an invoice. How can I pay my bill?

Payments can be made via check, credit card, or money order. Please see Program Cost & Payment Options for more information.

What is the best way to get my portfolio to Class Measures?

Please DO NOT send your portfolio to the DESE offices in Malden.

Paper portfolios should all be submitted to our office at 100 Tower Park Drive, Suite A, Woburn, MA 01801. You can either mail your portfolio or deliver it in person. If you plan to deliver it to the office yourself, please contact the office ahead of time to be sure someone will be there to meet you.

Electronic portfolios created on a CD, DVD, or flashdrive can be submitted by mail or in person to our office at 100 Tower Park Dr, Suite A, Woburn, MA 01801.

Electronic portfolios created using a web-host can be submitted by email.

How will my portfolio be returned to me?

Paper portfolios will be returned by mail once all relevant paperwork has been completed. Your completion certificate and your mentor's PDP certificate will be inside the front pocket. If you prefer to pick up your portfolio, please notify our office.

Electronic portfolios on CD, DVD, or thumb drive may not be returned unless specifically requested. Your completion certificate and your mentor's PDP certificate will be mailed to you. If you prefer to pick up your electronic portfolio, please notify our office.

How do I apply for an Initial license with the ESE Office of Educator Licensure?

All PRPIL participants must apply for the Initial license. Do not be concerned if you receive a notice that in cannot yet be granted. The Initial license will be granted once your endorsement has been received from Class Measures and processed by the Office of Educator Licensure.

Please apply for the Initial license online using the ELAR system.

How do I receive my Initial license from the DESE Office of Educator Licensure?

The Office of Educator Licensure no longer mails paper licenses. Once you know your endorsement has been sent, please check the status of your license regularly through your ELAR account.

How long does it take for me to receive my Initial license after my endorsement has been received by the DESE Office of Educator Licensure?

This varies depending on the time of year and the number of licenses the Office of Educator Licensure must process. Most licenses are processed within 3-4 weeks. If your Preliminary license is expiring sooner than this, your principal or superintendent can request an expedited review of your file.

Will my Initial license (obtained via PRPIL) be valid in any other state?

This depends on the state in question. Please contact their Department of Education for details regarding possible reciprocity. Additional information can also be found here.

There are more teachers at my school who are interested in your program. Can you come to the school to speak with them?

We would be happy to arrange an information session for a group of five or more teachers. Please have your principal contact our office to arrange a mutually convenient time.

How does the new SEI Endorsement requirement impact my Eligibility for PRPIL?

The SEI Endorsement requirement that went into effect on July 1, 2014 currently affects core subject matter teachers only. They will need to complete the SEI Endorsement in order to be eligible to enroll in PRPIL. Please call our office for further details.